Monday, December 8, 2008

Thank-You


I just have to say "Thank-You" to a total stranger who's kind words made a world of difference to me today. Here's the story... We had a bad morning at our house trying to get out the door by 8:30 to get Emma to an Orthodontist appointment at 9:30. This is never easy to get 3 kids and myself all ready to go so early, no exceptions today! Long story short... Emma and I had an argument, that didn't go well(do any arguments go well)? Anyway this left me feeling terrible all the way to Salt Lake. Thoughts going through my head, how could I, should I, have handled that differently? Should I stick to my guns, or give in? Is she learning a lesson here, or was this all for nothing? On the way home we had a good talk, and I tryed to explain myself better, and apologized for the way I handled things. In an effort to make things good (and because she missed lunch at school)I let her pick where she wanted to go for lunch. She choose Apollo Burger. She ordered her favorite Apollo Burger sandwich, they are huge! I ordered a Large cheese burger combo, so Emma, Jack and I could share. Well I guess I made another mistake. Jack started screaming "I want my own drink"! I tryed to explain I got a big one to share, but he still wasn't happy. That only got worse when I cut the cheeseburger in half. He wanted his own. "Fix it" he screamed! After about 5 min. and lots of tears, he started to eat and calm down. On the way out of the restaurant a man stoped me and said something like "way to go". I didn't know what he was talking about. I said "what"? He said " you didn't give in" I was still a little confused. But he went on to say that I didn't give in when Jack wanted his own drink. I stood my ground. He thought that was good. He told me that he had a little granddaughter that goes 90 miles an hour(just like Jack) and he said "it's hard, and we know its hard, and you did a good job". His words as simple as they were, meant the world to me today. So "thank You" to the kind stranger at Apollo Burger today, who brightened my gloomy day.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

What a nice story! I wish more strangers would tell me I did a good job when my kids melt down in public. (not that THAT ever happens with the Droubay angels. . . )

Hope your burger was tasty!

Martins said...

I hate public melt downs!!!! It sounds like you handled it well, even though it probably didn't feel like it when Jack was screaming.. Good times... GOOD JOB though! :)

crazycranefamily said...

You big not giver inner. Way to be an example to the rest of us.
I love when strangers are kind. It makes everything seem OK for a few seconds because they don't love us, and feel like they need to find the right words. They just say it like they see it.
Now I want Apollo Burger.
Thanks a lot!